Questions from a New Dojo

• We are setting up a Dojo in our primary school for kids age 7-12. I have some questions that arose at our first planning session and I’m hoping someone here can help.

1. As it’s a private Dojo for the school, we’ll do a term-based booking system. Does the CoderDojo ticketing system allow for term-based bookings rather than one booking per weekly event?
    2. For this age group is one hour sufficient or do you need more time to get set up etc.
    3. Some of our mentors are concerned about the variable platforms/browsers with the kids bringing in own laptops. A suggestion made was to set up Ubuntu on a USB key and install it at beginning of each session. How do others overcome this issue, or is it an issue at all?
      Thanks for helping!

• CoderDojo Foundation

Hi Claire,

Thanks for getting in touch. I’ve answered your queries below;

1. Yes absolutely! You can create recurring events on Zen which can run the length of a full term!
    2. We find that around 1hour 30 mins is perfect - then you have enough time to set up and this also gives you time to do a warm up game and 5 mins at the end where the young people can present what they have learned during the session!
    3. Perhaps other Dojos tackle this in different ways and want to chip in but generally we find having anything necessary for setup on a USB or you could contact all parents/kids beforehand with instructions.

Just let us know if you have any other questions!

Best wishes,

Rosa

• In regards to #3, Linux boot sticks have the advantage that the kids can take them home and work on the same system they do in the dojo. If you want to avoid the hassle of setting up the right X driver on each laptop, you could also use VirtualBox… We’ve found that using the terminal is usually good enough for most of the work we do.

W.r.t. browsers, if you pick Firefox or Chrome, you won’t have any issues in my experience (we “ban” Explorer in our dojo on a ninja’s first day)!

Looks like your connection to CoderDojo Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.