What are "Sushi Cards"

• Greetings

While wandering your site, I see the occasional reference to what you call a “Sushi Card”. I don’t know if this is local slang, or CoderDojo slang, but I, (and possibly others), have no idea what is meant by a “Sushi Card”

Within those locations where Sushi Cards are mentioned, perhaps a parenthetical reference - or a tool-tip - can help the inexperienced know what you’re talking about.

Likewise, you may wish to review the site for other possible local/Dojo slang.

What say ye?

Jim “JR”

• CoderDojo Foundation

Hi @Jim-Harris
    Yes this is a fair point. To explain, Sushi Cards were double-sided laminated cards. One card = one concept. Sushi cards are a method of communicating programming concepts in easy-to-digest, bite-sited chunks (hence Sushi). It was originally coined by Community member, Clyde Hatter of Bray Dojo. Which became popular after the concept was discussed at our annual community conference DojoCon. Thereafter it was adapted by some community members and the CoderDojo Foundation. While we have moved away from the original “double-sided laminated cards” aspect with our resources, the term has stuck over years of it’s use among community members.

I do understand that this may be confusing for new-comers. We are actually in the process of reviewing the site, updating it and moving to an alternative resource platform. Thank you for your inout so we can improve how our resources are communicated. @Philip-Harney our content lead would be happy to follow up on any aspect I may have missed, or if you have any additional follow up questions.

Also this input is really useful to @Conor-Murphy our product manager for the CoderDojo platform (Zen) and website, so we can be sure our resources are being communicated clearly to the wider community.

You can see more here about Sushi cards historically here:
    http://kata.coderdojo.com/wiki/Category:Sushi_Card

• @Nuala-McHale

That is a wonderful idea! I would hesitate to move away from the laminated cards - or perhaps a 2-up or 4-up print process where one/two cards could be printed per-page, folded, and (if desired) laminated at the local Dojo level.

Thanks!

Jim “JR”

• CoderDojo Foundation

Hi @Jim-Harris! The reason for the move is that our annual survey results clearly showed a majority of Dojos working either completely or partially with on-screen educational content, as compared to those Dojos working completely off of printed materials. Based on that and the numerous other advantages (up-to-date materials, the option to include video, etc.) that going with a screen-first format offered, we’ve been moving in that direction for the last 18 months or so. With our impending move to the new projects site we’ll be realising that goal.

Of course, the materials can still be printed off and used in that format but we are no longer ensuring that each step is exactly two sides of an A4 page. Instead, a digital format gives us the freedom to make each step as long or as short as makes sense and to present it in the best way with collapsable sections of additional (nice to know but not necessary to complete the project), repeated (you’ve seen this at a lower level of project, so maybe you can just skip over it here), or optional (need a hint?) materials as well as the option to use animation and video where they’re the best way to convey something.

We always make sure that it’ll still work in a printed format, we just don’t recommend that as the ‘best’ way to do one of our projects anymore.

• @Philip-Harney

Thank you for the excellent reply.

I do have to admit that I am a bit disappointed that the “new projects site” is primarily “Pi” related. Not that I have anything against the “Pi” per-se, (I own several), but I would hope your groups would be more platform agnostic.

I happen to be particularly fascinated by the micro:bit because it’s much simpler and easier to grasp out-of-the-box than a Pi. (or Arduino, or Beagle Bone, etc.)

If I had MY way, I’d leave things like the Pi for the more advanced users, and let the people who are just getting their feet wet mess with the micro:bit. In this same vein, I would like to be able to endow my granddaughter’s elementary school with a whole s-load of micro:bits - or talk Moscow’s school board into doing it! :grinning:

What say ye?

Jim “JR”

• CoderDojo Foundation

@Jim-Harris

I can see why you might get that impression from the branding — and the Raspberry Pi Foundation, of which the CoderDojo Foundation is a part, does indeed own the company responsible for the Raspberry Pi computer — but the considerable majority of the projects you’ll find on that site are totally platform agnostic:

Looks like your connection to CoderDojo Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.