Anything for parents?

• Joined a local dojo, but does this movement include anything for parents?

After all, if parents can’t code and don’t have any particular passion for it, then they are not particularly well placed to support and encourage their kids to keep it up.

Particularly a problem in my area - Epping, Victoria

Too much bloody sport and not enough intellect!

• Hi @Gregary-Boyles,

Thank you for sharing. I think you are right. At the moment, there is a Dojo mentor in Ireland piloting some training with parents to support them to mentor in Dojos and get them more interested and involved. He will be speaking at an event on the 4th of August. We could record the event and host it live for you to tune into. We are also developing a mentor training course to support parents. It will be a course that champions can use to facilitate a train the trainer with parents to give them more confidence to mentor at Dojo’s. Happy to share this when it is completed.

The footie and cricket in Melbourne isn’t so bad, we just need to link more into coding too!

• CoderDojo Foundation

Hi @Gregary-Boyles in case you didn’t know all our resources are open and free for both children and parents to use. You can see them via the resources tab above or linked here.

All those who are on the CoderDojo platform can also try out our elearning modules. These delve more into our ethos, skills useful to be come a mentor and about safeguarding children rather than technical skills specifically, but the mentor one in particular is useful for giving parents the confidence to help out at a Dojo even without extensive tech knowledge.

For a free online course to help you develop coding skills to support young people the Raspberry Pi Foundation run several.

A good one to start with is this one: Teaching Programming in Primary Schools
    And you can move onto this one then: Scratch to Python: Moving from Block- to Text-based Programming for example, but defintely check out our resources, and try out others to further develo pyour skills like codecademy for eg. I have found useful for learning HTML.

Let us know how you get on :slightly_smiling_face:

• @Tara-McGrath said in Anything for parents?:

Hi @Gregary-Boyles,

Thank you for sharing. I think you are right. At the moment, there is a Dojo mentor in Ireland piloting some training with parents to support them to mentor in Dojos and get them more interested and involved. He will be speaking at an event on the 4th of August. We could record the event and host it live for you to tune into. We are also developing a mentor training course to support parents. It will be a course that champions can use to facilitate a train the trainer with parents to give them more confidence to mentor at Dojo’s. Happy to share this when it is completed.

The footie and cricket in Melbourne isn’t so bad, we just need to link more into coding too!

Mate I f’ing hate bloody football! And I have little interest in mainstream sports in general.
    I am a black sheep within the Australian family ;-)

• @Nuala-McHale
    OK with coding have a fair bit of experience, including some commercial experience. In fact I have learned vastly more coding as a landscaper running my own business than I ever did or would have as a commercial programmer.

Coded my own business website from scratch, including a custom online shopping cart system.
    Know quite a bit about Arduino, Raspberry Pi and general electronics.
    Windows / MFC / Visual Studio, including inerfacing arduino with windows programs through bluetooth and UDP.
    Know a bit about coding android apps.
    So I have a lot to offer any interested kids. More than most around these burbs anyway…sadly.

• @Nuala-McHale
    Done very little Python programming but it is so similar to C (syntax etc) that it won’t be difficult to pick up.

• @Gregary-Boyles
    I asked about this as part of my local code club which is meant to be turning in to a dojo, (can’t see it happening anytime soon), I think we need to also help parents understand what we are using, teaching and what else is out there. Maybe even teach them some coding too, that way they can engage with their own kids on the topic and encourage them.

• @Gregary-Boyles I thought Australia was more Rugby than Football (I assume by football you mean Soccer) rather than Aissie rules.

• Hi @Gregary-Boyles @Paul-Sutton - Thank you for your queries. We are currently in the process of writing and compiling a Parents’ Handbook. This will be similar in format the Champions’ Handbook and will be aimed exclusively towards Parents / Guardians. The guide will aim to provide an understanding of what CoderDojo is all about, the importance of learning coding for youth, and ways to support kids with their CoderDojo involvement.

There will be more news on this publication later in the year :)

• CoderDojo Foundation

It would be great to get your feedback on aspects to include/add to it.
    @Gregary-Boyles what do you think would be useful to include in the guide to help build that passion in parents so they can support and encourage their kids to continue?
    @Paul-Sutton what do you think we could add to help parents understand what Volunteers are using/teaching and what else is out there. Or useful resources you think for teaching parents some coding too? :)

Anyone else is welcome to share their thoughts too :slight_smile:

• @Paul-Sutton Its rugby league has traditionally been the dominant sport in NSW and QLD but Australian Rules football has been the dominate sport in Victoria and SA. Although both codes have spread their products across Australia over recent decades.
    Can’t stand either - can’t think of anything more boring than watching football or rugby matches.

• @Nuala-McHale said in Anything for parents?:

It would be great to get your feedback on aspects to include/add to it.
    @Gregary-Boyles what do you think would be useful to include in the guide to help build that passion in parents so they can support and encourage their kids to continue?
    @Paul-Sutton what do you think we could add to help parents understand what Volunteers are using/teaching and what else is out there. Or useful resources you think for teaching parents some coding too? :)

Anyone else is welcome to share their thoughts too :slight_smile:

Perhaps some sort of competition with some decent prizes might encourage participation.

• @Nuala-McHale
    I did something similar for the tech jam website, and explained all sorts of terms like ‘hacking - original meaning’ IRC, different languages, python, ruby etc., in terms of what these meant.

Looks like your connection to CoderDojo Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.