CoderDojo Mentor's 6 Online Safety tips for Parents/Teachers to share with youths

• CoderDojo Foundation

CoderDojo Mentor and Founder of the Digital Youth Council in Ireland, Harry McCann recently shared these Online Safety tips for parents/teachers to share with their children/teenagers/students. You can see his thread on Twitter here, but for anyone not on twitter I thought I would share them here so you can share your thoughts with other community members…

1. There certain apps children/young teenagers should NOT have on their phones:
    • Tinder (Online dating app) (16+)
    • KiK ( Anonymous messaging app)
    • Sarahah (Anonymous messenger board)

There is NO reason at all for any child or young teenager to be using any of these apps! 🚫

1. Young people online should never:
    • Share their location
    • Agree to meet with someone they met online
    • Share pictures/videos of any kind with people they do not know
    • Accept follower/friend requests from strangers.
    • Share private information

1. Every popular social media site/platform/app, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. have privacy settings, and every young person should understand their privacy settings, and should be aware of who can see the content they are sharing! 👀

3.1 I recommend the following settings for young people for the following online profiles 🔒:

1. Here are a few key safety tips for the EXTREMELY popular, Snapchat:
    • NEVER send inappropriate images/videos, it is very easy for people to save them without you knowing.
    • ONLY friends should be able to see your Snapchat story
    • TURN OFF Snap Map! (https://goo.gl/bmYZcK )

1. Plenty of online profiles such as Instagram, Twitter, Tinder allow you to put personal info into Bio’s.

Young people should NEVER include the following personal information in their bios:

• Phone Number 📱
    • Email 💻
    • Address/location 🏡
    • Age 📅

1. MOST IMPORTANT tip for Parents:
      Sit down and discuss technology and the online world with your children/teenagers. Explain the dangers and the risks, and explain how to be safe online.
      AND,
      Most importantly of all, tell them that NO MATTER WHAT they can always talk to you!

We’ve shared other online safety resources for young people and adults here, but it would be interesting if there are other things you think have been left out, or you’ve noticed in your Dojo.

• @Nuala-McHale The Coderdojo in Derry are currently going through Google’s Be Internet Awesome material and I’m really interested in running it in CoderDojo Banbridge too. It looks good, with plenty of group activities as well as a web/phone based challenge at the end.

/Mark

• CoderDojo Foundation

@KramKroc This is great, thanks for sharing. I like the idea of of the group work, especially the profile ones (2/3) about seeing different information people are sharing that they mightn’t realise and getting young people to think about what they can learn about a person, how it might look to others and how they’ll feel about things they’ve shared in 10 years.

Could definitely be broken up and used at the start of Dojo sessions as well to get young people thinking about it.

Looks like your connection to CoderDojo Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.