Launching the 2017-18 European Astro Pi Challenge!

• CoderDojo Foundation

Astro Pi is an annual science and coding competition where school-age youths code is run on the International Space Station! We want to inspire as many Ninjas as possible to further their interests in space science with code! The challenge is open to CoderDojo clubs and schools in all ESA member countries (most of Europe) including Canada and Slovenia.
    🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇨🇭 🇩🇪 🇦🇹 🇧🇪 🇩🇰 🇪🇸 🇪🇪 🇫🇮 🇫🇷 🇬🇷 🇭🇺 🇮🇪 🇮🇹 🇱🇺 🇳🇴 🇳🇱 🇵🇱 🇵🇹 🇨🇿 🇷🇴 🇨🇦 🇸🇮!
    Some Dojos have already gotten involved, including Neffies Dojo in France, so why not get your Dojos code into space?

alt text

Two missions are available;

Mission Zero

(submission closes on 26 November)
    A non-competitive mission for young people no older than 14 in groups of 2–4.
    Write a simple Python program that shows your message and the temperature.
    Your code is guaranteed to run in space for 30 seconds.

Mission Space Lab

(registration closes on 29 October)
    A scientific mission for young people no older than 19 in groups of 2–6.
    Design an experiment, receive free computer hardware to work with, and write the Python code to carry it out.
    Your code could be uploaded to the International Space Station and run for three hours (two orbits).

This year’s competition has just opened, go to https://astro-pi.org/ to choose your mission!
    alt text

Is your Dojo not in an ESA member country?
    Don’t worry, Ninjas outside of ESA can team up with other Dojos in member countries to enter, as long as the teams are 50% or more ESA participants. For example, teams that enter the Mission Space Lab project can have up to 3 Ninjas from countries who are not ESA members in a team of 6.

In order to be eligible all teams, including those with non-ESA team members need to register the team from the ESA member country.

Want to find a Dojo from an ESA member country to join with?
    Reply to ask other Dojos on this forum thread!

• Hi,

I am wondering if I can get a partner from ESA member country for my son (who is in grade 5) to form a team for the Astro Pi Space Lab project submission. We are located in Bangalore, India.

-Ujjal

• CoderDojo Foundation

REMINDER: Registration for Mission Space Lab, in which groups receive free computer hardware to work with, closes in 8 days. So if you intend to enter your Dojo apply above asap!

alt text

• @Nuala-Nic-Éil

Unfortunately nobody replied to my post so assuming that no other ESA member country participant is willing to partner with my son this time.

• CoderDojo Foundation

@UJJAL-BOSE Sorry to hear that Ujjal, if I hear from anyone interested in creating a group with a remote team member I will definitely get in touch.

Has your son tried using the Astro Pi trinket emulator?
    It’s a fun way to use python code to see what it would look like on a Raspberry Pi in the special Astro Pi case as it will be on the International Space Station. https://trinket.io/mission-zero

• CoderDojo Foundation

Here are some photos from Clonakilty Dojo (Cork, Ireland), Neffies Dojo in France and Timișoara Dojo in Romania who have registered for both Missions and are working on their python code!

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

• @Nuala-Nic-Éil Hello, our dojo’s are from Romania. We can apply for Astro PI Kit?

• CoderDojo Foundation

@Petre-Adrian Hi there, yes Romania is and ESA member states so yes you can apply! You need to register your idea here for Mission Space Lab to receive the kit. Your Dojos project will then be entered in a competition to get your code into space.

For younger members of your Dojo, the Mission Zero may be a better option, their code is guaranteed to run in space, but no kit will be sent to your Dojo for that mission.

Is your Dojo in an ESA member state?

ESA has 22 Member States: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

alt text

Looks like your connection to CoderDojo Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.