Starting a new Girlswhocode dojo in Cork and Barcelona

• Hi! I am Natalia and I am located in Cork, I am coming from Barcelona Spain and I’ve been living the last 3 years in New Zealand with my husband and my two daughters (6 and 9 years old).
    The school my daughters were attending in NZ was really onto coding, Arduino, and other computer activities. Also in Barcelona with a friend, we are starting a Girlswhocode Dojo, for girls and also for Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) kids. The champion in Barcelona knows about Javascript, Phyton, Php, C++, Html, CSS, Raspberry Pi, Ardunino.

My question is: I would like to start a Girlswhocode in Cork, some girls friends from my daughter school and my older daughter are really excited about that idea and I don´t mind to be the Champion or Volunteer. My background is not related to Computers, I am Health and Safety Manager, but I use to work with Cobots (Collaborative Robots) Safety programming.

I am not sure if there is any Code Dojo Girls in Cork. I´ll really appreciate if you can let me know how to launch this initiative.

Thanks!!!

• CoderDojo Foundation

Hi @Natalia-Picher, thanks for getting in touch. That is really interesting to hear about your experiences from different countries and I am delighted that you see the importance of children having access to learn coding skills in a fun, open environment. :)
    There are many Dojos already in Cork, though none specifically for girls that I am aware of. Where in Cork were you hoping to start your Dojo?
    It might be a good idea to start a Dojo and then see whether there is a specific gender issue. Some Dojos are already making changes to appeal more to girls and encourage gender parity at their Dojo, such as Clonikilty CoderDojo who run a Girls Table so local girls have a space to develop their skills and confidence in technology, while still having the ability of girls and boys to mix with and learn from each other. CoderDojo is based on the principle of inclusivity, in that any child regardless of their gender,socio-economic background, religious beliefs or culture are free to attend. For this reason we encourage Dojos to be open to both girls and boys.
    If you find when running the Dojo that the proportion of girls is lower than half you can take steps to ensure your Dojo reaches an even split using ticketing (holding 50% of tickets for girls and 50% for boys) and ensuring an even gender split of mentors leading sessions.
    We’ve recently announced the launch of our CoderDojo Girls guide. If you set up a Dojo you can apply on behalf of it to receive the guide to help yours be as girl-friendly as possible so that girls in your local area feel just as welcome to participate.

• Hi Natalia

I’m located in Cork and we run a dojo with a good few girls and one of our junior mentors has started a dojo in her all girl school in the city.
    If you would like to come to one of our sessions sometime or if you would like to meet up and chat as I would be very interested in talking with you with you about your experiences with kids on the spectrum and coderdojo and also girls with ADHD/ADD etc.
    I can put you in touch with some of the dojo champions here in Cork also?
    I think there would be a lot of interest in a girlswhocode in Cork,

Thanks
    Barbara

• Hi Nuala,

Many thanks for this valuable information! I’ll do exactly what you say and if I find the proportion of girls is lower than half I’ll apply to receive the guide.

Bests regards!!

Natalia

• @Barbara-Hegarty

Hi Barbara! It would be fantastic have a chat with you and let you know about our project and share views. I’ll leave you my email if you like to contact me napg@hotmail.com

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Natalia

Looks like your connection to CoderDojo Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.