Mentors cannot join our dojo

• As we gear up and have mentors register on the site, they’re unable to “join” our Dojo. The blue “join dojo” button seems to be gone completely.

At first I’d noticed it was gone from our page at https://zen.coderdojo.com/dojos/us/denver-co/denver-co-regis-university-50-th-federal but it was still on https://zen.coderdojo.com/dojo/25ab65b9-0787-4963-b5aa-3a6de82b9d7e but now it’s gone there as well.

Any ETA on when this will be fixed? We’re in the middle of our “back to Dojo” push and neither parents nor mentors can join.

Thanks,
    Ian

• we were seeing it and it looks okay, you can join the dojo without problems

• CoderDojo Foundation

@Ian-Douglas Hi Ian! Thanks for getting in touch, we’ve newly updated the UI of all Dojo Pages, so it has been caused by the roll out of it. In user testing it was suggested it be removed. Thanks for bringing it to our attention of it’s importance to you. I’ll let our dev team @Guillaume-Feliciano and @Daniel-Brierton know, and they should be able to get back to you tomorrow with an update on re-adding the button. :)

• CoderDojo Foundation

Hi @Ian-Douglas we’re currently working on the join as a mentor button in a slightly different design. Next we’ll be looking at deploying something similar for parents. It’s being worked on at the minute and will try get this back in the next few weeks.

In the meantime you can use the invite feature to onboard people in Manage Users :)

• @Rosa-Langhammer Are you saying that until this new code is released a few weeks from now that parents cannot join a dojo by themselves, that we must do this manually? That puts an awful burden on our team as we try to get about 300 families to re-register for our fall term by moving over to the Zen platform from a previous home-built solution.

• CoderDojo Foundation

Hi Ian,

We’ve moved this to the top of our priority list and have the mentors join button close to ready to go. Hopnig it will be a few days to get this button and the parents join button pushed live. I will update here as soon as it goes live :) We are working as hard as we can to deliver this!

• CoderDojo Foundation

Good news! We’ve re-added the ability to join a Dojo, or volunteer as a mentor.

There are some caveats due to the timing of it:

• The button will appear only when the user is logged in
    • The button will appear when there are no events scheduled (you can join as part of the booking process otherwise)

We will be continuing to improve upon this in the coming weeks, such as hooking it up to a login/registration flow for non-logged in users.

Sorry for the delay on this, we hit a few bumps along the way, but we’ve been able to improve our tests to be more reliable as a result.

• Hi Daniel,

Thanks for getting this back online. I have two follow-up questions:

1. Why will it only work if we don’t have any events scheduled? Seems like a weird bug.
    2. Why was the button removed completely while developing these changes? It seems out of character for software development to completely remove a feature while spending a long amount of time iterating to a new version.

• It also appears that there’s a new bug introduced – once you join a Dojo, you cannot “un-join” a Dojo. I presume that’s also in the works?

• +1 on this. It’s not my intention to “pile on” here, but I’ve the same concern about the decision to remove the ability to cancel tickets for an event. Why remove that from the e-mails just because some people were getting more than one mail? Seems an odd decision to remove functionality because it caused minor annoyance.

• CoderDojo Foundation

1. Why was the button removed completely while developing these changes? It seems out of character for software development to completely remove a feature while spending a long amount of time iterating to a new version.

I’ll first address this question to give a bit of background to why these changes as a whole are occurring.

Over Summer, we did some work with Pivotal Labs with the aim to improve the registration process, mainly focusing on parents. We did user testing with a number of parents from various countries, some technical, some not, and the overwhelming result was that parents didn’t want to “Join” the Dojo, they just wanted to book tickets. The concept of joining largely confused users.

This has led us to a complete redesign of the flow from when you arrive on Zen to when you’re registered and booked into an event. The idea is you would find your local Dojo, click book, and fill out a single form to register on the platform, join the Dojo, and book your tickets. We wanted to incrementally release improvements so we can get feedback like this earlier, but since this was a redesign from the ground up (also using newer, better tech) we missed some important use cases such as this.

We already had plans for the volunteer buttons but I guess we hadn’t fully considered the use case presented here.

1. Why will it only work if we don’t have any events scheduled? Seems like a weird bug.

As we didn’t have concrete plans for this before your feedback (thank you, by the way, it’s super valuable!), I think we may have rushed it a little bit. To be honest, I’m not fully happy with how it’s implemented currently, and it’s definitely something I’m going to be flagging for review. The reasoning behind it is to do with the Join being part of the booking flow otherwise, but I think there is still value in joining a Dojo and not booking, even if there is an event on.

It also appears that there’s a new bug introduced – once you join a Dojo, you cannot “un-join” a Dojo. I presume that’s also in the works?

This is definitely something we need to do. Added to our backlog!

+1 on this. It’s not my intention to “pile on” here, but I’ve the same concern about the decision to remove the ability to cancel tickets for an event. Why remove that from the e-mails just because some people were getting more than one mail? Seems an odd decision to remove functionality because it caused minor annoyance.

I’m not sure what you’re referring to here. The link to cancel your ticket should still exist in the booking confirmation email. Is this the link you’re referring to? I’ll do some testing either over the weekend or first thing Monday to see why it’s not appearing if this is what you’re referring to.

Managing bookings from the parent/attendee/mentor side of things are something we have plans to revamp in the future. The first iteration of this would likely be a page where you can view all your booked tickets, and cancel them if necessary. After that, we’ll start looking into things like modifying your booking. It’s early days yet, but it’s definitely an area with room for improvement.

To both of you, @Ian-Douglas & @KramKroc, I want to both apologise to and thank you. I understand these issues have brought frustration and caused unnecessary headaches, which is something we obviously want to avoid. We want quite the opposite really, to make Zen easier to use for Champions, Mentors and Parents/Attendees, and your feedback is invaluable for that.

We’re currently in the process of hiring a product manager, and their job will be to understand how the platform is used, and how we can improve everybody’s experience. This could be through new features or refinements of existing ones. With someone dedicated to this task, I believe we can avoid such glaring omissions as this and better focus our small dev team on what matters most.

I hope this sheds some light on our thought processes, and how we aim to improve going forward. As always, thanks for your feedback, and thank you for your time and effort being involved in the CoderDojo movement.

• Thanks for the update @Daniel-Brierton .

I’ve worked with Pivotal Labs at a previous job, they do great work, and I’m happy to hear that newer/faster tech is at play. They definitely like to deploy fast and iterate, so I understand the reasons. I think the timing was unfortunate, though, given that our Dojo starts back up every fall and we were in the middle of getting our mentors registered on the site.

I also concur, the flow of clicking “join” and then having to register and THEN having to go find that join button again was a sort spot with some folks that we had test the platform for us as well. Given the changes for “joining” a Dojo as a parent, I guess as long as the parent reserves a ticket we can still check them in at the session to track attendance, correct? This might work out well for us if a student attends a different dojo, at least their attendance will track towards the digital badges there.

Thanks again for the work to get the Join button back. We’ve sent updated instructions to our mentors, so we’re looking forward to getting back on track!

Cheers,
    Ian

• Hi @Daniel-Brierton,

confusion over cancelling tickets was covered here:

https://forums.coderdojo.com/topic/462/parents-cancel-booking/2

No need to apologise, in the main I’m a massive supporter of your efforts. I agree that the current booking system is pretty confusing. The main reasons we changed from eventbrite to zen was the automatic tracking of attendance for badges and awareness of the wider CoderDojo foundation. However, we still have parents only creating accounts for themselves only and not their children too so the switch hasn’t worked out as we’d hoped and backs up your findings I guess. The new system, from your description, sounds like it may still have same issues?

/Mark

Looks like your connection to CoderDojo Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.