Unity3d license?

• Hi Coderdojo,

Unity license - I run a coderdojo “Dublin 3 @ Oracle” - Can we use the Unity free download?
    There is a revenue over $100,000 clause - just double checking they are not going to consider Oracle corporation as the entity with revenue over $100,000.

We use Oracle room and wifi and have some Oracle laptops assigned to us.

Unity3d seems like a cool step up for games writers using a ‘serious’ language for configuration (c#). I will need to make sure any lesson plans have an easy start.

I wrote a post on Unity message board - hope some other coderdojos have got a more official reply.

Thank you for your time,
    Turloch

• CoderDojo Foundation

Hi @Turloch-O-Tierney I just wanted to check if you got any response on this on the Unity message board. I tweeted them about it but still awaiting a reply.
    As long as you are just using that space for the Dojo and Unity is just being used in the Dojo itself and not for anything commercial we feel you are covered. But it would be great to hear if someone from Unity got back to you?

• CoderDojo Foundation

Hi Turloch,

You should be ok, we’ve used Unity at our Dojo and it is hosted by a games company and had no issues. If you’re interested in unity I’d also like to point you in the direction of Unreal Engine too. It can be a little more user friendly for young people :smile:

Pete

• Hi ‘unreal engine’ looks good (hosting company Oracle may prefer showing C++ rather than Microsoft c#), could start with an existing complete ‘hello world’ unreal project and change minor things to start (skins and map) - any recommended lesson plans would be great - I have my 10 year old son to practice on before I use it in the dojo. Unity user got back with ‘IANAL’ but should be OK to use Unity. Regards, Turloch

• CoderDojo Foundation

There are some useful video resources here for unreal engine.

Let me know how it goes!

P

Looks like your connection to CoderDojo Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.