Virtual/online Dojo participation

• Hi everyone! Bill here from CoderDojoKC. Do you run a Dojo entirely virtually, i.e. over Skype or Google Hangouts? If you run a physical Dojo, do you incorporate any kind of virtual conferencing for remote ninjas? I’d love to hear about

• The tool(s) you use
    • Your experiences
    • Your ninjas’ experiences
    • Any challenges your Dojo has faced as a result, and how you’ve overcome them

Thanks!

• Hi

I want to start a virtual dojo. Check out eun academy page on fb as some teachers use free easy setup easy on broadband virtual classroom tools. I had a recomendation on one particular but forgot to bookmark it :(
    But they can offer great advice.

Regards from Wexford

• Hi Bill,

Last year, we kicked-off a pilot project between the Dojo in IBM Cork and IBM Ghana (Accra@IBM Ghana Dojo) using remote mentoring. An article detailing our efforts can be found here: https://coderdojo.com/news/2016/10/20/coderdojo-ghana-ibm-building-a-big-blue-bridge-across-the-technological-divide/.

So far, our pains have been thankfully few – and our gains many 

Initial challenges:

1. We had some teething problems due to internet connectivity problems.
    2. Issues with the poor audio and video quality of some of our remote mentoring tools.

How we resolved these problems:

1. Switched to Zoom Cloud Meetings for our online audio and video conferencing sessions due to its better quality.
    2. Upgraded our broadband in one of our locations.
    3. Always having at least one very active adult mentor participate in each dojo session in Ghana.

Experiences:

1. It has been a wonderful experience working with such a great group of dedicated people in both locations.
    2. Thankfully, over 90% of the ninjas in Ghana are still enthusiastic and very committed.

Observations:

1. Ninjas who have access to laptops/computers at home tend to learn quicker than those who don’t - which is quite understandable.

Looks like your connection to CoderDojo Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.