Python Intermediate Sushi Cards

• Re: Python Sushi Cards

I have several kids starting the Intermediate python cards, so I thought I’d better go through them so I can help if necessary.

I got them working, but I had to debug a few times - I suspect I’m working with a different version of Python.
    card 1: you show list_of_names and then switch to names. Suggest being consistent.
    card 2: I had to put a “:” in both the loops
    card 5: “form” should be “from”

I struggled with files. A couple of things:

1. I wasn’t sure how to create a txt file on the Mac. Just saving from the browser didn’t create a readable file. Using TextEdit gave me an rtf which confused things. I ended up writing a file from python, and then then editing that file as my input file. I’m sure there’s a better way. I suggest including something more on creating txt file.
    2. I couldn’t get the append to work in the example (I need to go back and try this with the explicit close() that I figured out doing the palindrome).
    3. I couldn’t get your example palindrome solution working without an explicit close().

Broader comments:
    I think the cards cover a LOT of topics. I think they may be covering them a bit fast. This was also the feedback from one of my Dojo kids (who was already familiar with Python). I’ll let you know what the other kids say.
    I think perhaps a practical example after each topic - or a mini-challenge would be helpful to make sure the concepts are really sinking in. Or, perhaps you could even be incrementally building out the final challenge as you go through the cards.

I liked the challenge at the end a lot as far as applying the concepts.

• CoderDojo Foundation

Thanks for the feedback. I am planning to rewrite this set as, while I did create them, I’m not totally pleased with how they turned out. In particular their lack of a build to a final challenge/project as they go along.

In the short term, though, I’ll re-check the code in the next few weeks. I know it all ran when I wrote it, but it’s possible that either I dropped a few key elements during the editing process, or I was using a particularly forgiving interpreter. I was just moving from Python 2 to Python 3 at the time myself, so I may have made a few errors in that regard.

Oh, and as for text files on a Mac, sadly they don’t really ship with a text editor for handling code (other than the command line options). I’d recommend either VS Code, which is my current favourite, or Atom, which is open source. If you’re looking for more of an IDE, specifically for Python, you can consider the community edition of PyCharm. All of these are cross-platform, so you can use them on Mac or Windows and, certainly in the case of the first two, on Linux.

• @Philip-Harney OK. I think you could integrate the palindrome example through the cards. For example, first just working with a string and a single palindrome. then reading the string in and out of a file, then encapsulating into a function, then reading all the strings, etc. Not sure what order is best, but I’m sure you can figure that part out. I think it would make the cards even better, and keep the palindrome coding from being quite as hard. Right now, it’s a pretty big leap to write that code from a blank start.

Looks like your connection to CoderDojo Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.