Installing chopstick tool fails: Windows 10, clean node installation

• Re: Chopstick your sushi tool

Hi

I wanted to try out the chopsticks package for building sushi cards … no success though.

• Windows 10 computer
    • clean 64-bit node.js install

**npm install -g sushi-tool ** fails with an error, complaining that VCBuild.exe cannot be found.

After some research, it turns out you can fix this initial error (for node packages which require compilation) by

npm install -g windows-build-tools

However sushi-tools will still not install, there are (many) errors building node-sass, whatever that is.

For instance, this sort of thing:

ClCompile:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin\amd64\CL.exe /c /I"C:\Users\liam.friel.node-gyp\6.10.0\include\node" /I"C:\Users\liam.friel.node-g
    yp\6.10.0\src" /I"C:\Users\liam.friel.node-gyp\6.10.0\deps\uv\include" /I"C:\Users\liam.friel.node-gyp\6.10.0\deps\v8\include" /I…\nan /Zi /nologo /W3 /W
    X- /Ox /Ob2 /Oi /Ot /Oy /GL /D NODE_GYP_MODULE_NAME=binding /D USING_UV_SHARED=1 /D USING_V8_SHARED=1 /D V8_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS=1 /D WIN32 /D _CRT_SECURE_NO_D
    EPRECATE /D _CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DEPRECATE /D _HAS_EXCEPTIONS=0 /D BUILDING_NODE_EXTENSION /D WINDLL /GF /Gm- /MT /GS /Gy /fp:precise /Zc:wchar_t /Zc:forScope /Zc:
    inline /GR- /Fo"Release\obj\binding\" /Fd"Release\obj\binding\vc140.pdb" /Gd /TP /wd4351 /wd4355 /wd4800 /wd4251 /errorReport:queue /MP …\src\binding.cpp …
    src\create_string.cpp …\src\custom_function_bridge.cpp …\src\custom_importer_bridge.cpp …\src\sass_context_wrapper.cpp …\src\sass_types\boolean.cpp …\src
    sass_types\color.cpp …\src\sass_types\error.cpp …\src\sass_types\factory.cpp …\src\sass_types\list.cpp …\src\sass_types\map.cpp …\src\sass_types\null.cpp
    …\src\sass_types\number.cpp …\src\sass_types\string.cpp "C:\Users\liam.friel\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\sushi-tool\node_modules\node-gyp\src\win_delay

load_hook.cc"
    binding.cpp
    create_string.cpp
    custom_function_bridge.cpp
    custom_importer_bridge.cpp
    c:\users\liam.friel\appdata\roaming\npm\node_modules\sushi-tool\node_modules\node-sass\src\custom_importer_bridge.h(5): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘sass/functions.h’: No such file or directory (compiling source file …\src\custom_importer_bridge.cpp)

It is entirely possible to just install the node-sass package with npm install -g node-sass

So, stuck. Seems quite likely that nobody ever tried this before?

• CoderDojo Foundation

Hi @Liam-Friel, thanks for letting us know your experience trying to install the tool. I know there was some issues with it, which is why our content lead Philip is working on an alternative content creation and translation tool which would allow for collaboration and wouldn’t involve someone needing as much technical experience to use.

It would be cool to know what Dojo you are involved with and what kind of content/project were you hoping to make a sushi card on? :slight_smile:

@Philip-Harney is also the best person to ask with regards to installing chopsticks, though it might be more fruitful to utilise the new tool instead.

• CoderDojo Bray, and we want to make some Arduino sushi cards, since we are sorta fed up explaining the same thing a thousand times over, year after year … :-)

I am happy to do any amount of github and/or node things, if it is at least theoretically possible to install chopsticks, to see what it does.

… my impression from the level of error message I was getting was that it might no longer be even theoretically possible to install …

Is there a more detailed/complete set of instructions?
    What, actually, does the chopsticks tool do? I just wanted to experiment with it. I am sure I could write sushi cards in Word or LibreOffice too.

• CoderDojo Foundation

Definitely, that is a great idea. I know our content lead is revising some Arduino project cards that a CoderDojo attendee designed. He should be able to give you an idea of when they will be released tomorrow.
    Yea, I’m not sure if it is still being made available as the new tool that is aimed at replacing it is being launched soon. Again Philip is the best person to fill you in on this. Regarding the new content generation tool, you can check out tutorials explaining how it works and can be set up here.

Chopsticks like the new tool helps you create standardised project cards for use at your Dojo. The newer tool is more user friendly better at making these easier to share, collaborate with others on and also translate into different languages so more Dojos can use them as well. Here is PHP beginner cards made using the new tool for an example.

What kind of projects have you tried already with it that you are hoping to make sushi cards for? :)

• OK, I tried that.
    It doesn’t seem to work either.

It’s github markdown format only (which is very limiting), plus image export is not working properly for some reason.

So, since I have a full suite of perfectly standard publishing tools (Word, or LibreOffice) available, I propose to use those.

• CoderDojo Foundation

I need to clean up the posts that mention Chopsticks to point people to use GitBook instead, but as you point out there are still a couple of issues with it: The images don’t seem to work quite right and there are some problems creating a PDF. I’m trying to set up a conversation with their team to clear it up, but it’s why I haven’t formally released it yet.

As you point out, there are some limitations the tool adds, over something as flexible as Word. Personally, I like the ease and consistency of formatting that the Markdown based option enables, but you’re free to use whatever you like, of course! That said, I also see it as having the potential to surpass Word in some places, such as code highlighting and eventually extensions that do things like directly embed Scratch code, rather than adding it as images. I’ll get to those in time, but I want to get it out as soon as possible.

What functionality are you trying to use that you find is lacking in the tool (other than the bug with the images, that is!) right now?

• CoderDojo Foundation

@Liam-Friel Btw Liam, here is the link to the Arduino content I mentioned yesterday that Thomas, an awesome ninja who did work experience with us, made.

Looks like your connection to CoderDojo Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.