Copyright

• I am curious about this as we do not teach ninjas in our dojo about copyright. I do tend to mention it, and personally think they should start doing things the "proper" way so they do not develop bad habits.
    I am just having a peek at the html resources and a lesson there has a books web page and shows how to get Harry Potter logo. Question is: Is this OK to use?

• CoderDojo Foundation

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, this does not constitute legal advice, etc.

That said, the Harry Potter logo is a trademark, which can be used under the Fair Use doctrine to refer to a brand, assuming you're not trying to impersonate it. For example, you'll find the Harry Potter logo on dozens of pages on Wikipedia.

I think, given that it's sitting in the middle of a white page in the material in question, that it's not likely people think it's an official Harry Potter site, assuming you were to publish it.

To be a bit more covered, you could include the ™ character (HTML code is ™) following the image and theoretically note that it's the trademark of... I think maybe Scholastic publishing? I'm not totally sure who owns it.

• @Philip-Harney Thank you.
    I did not really clarify... My question is more of a nature what we teach kids. My own child, whom I believed to understand copyright, decided one day to make a website with memes of SpongeBob. So off he goes downloading images. When I asked about copyright and creative commons, he then made an image from Scratch, called it whatever the character was called and intended to use that. So I asked him how is that not copyrighted, and he thought it is not because he created it, nevermind that one could not tell it apart from the original!
    Point is, there are other ninjas unaware of this. They are learning how to publish online content. If they learn to use any material available online, there might be issues down the line one day. Not saying there will be, but more thinking out loud, iYKwIM.

=)

• CoderDojo Foundation

Yeah, I agree that it's an interesting topic and one worth covering with Ninjas who may be creating and publishing things like apps and websites, not just from a perspective of using other people's work but also with regard to how they might want to license their own. It's definitely something that's on my to-do list to get something put together for, at least at a "general things to think about" level; copyright laws obviously vary from country to country!

Looks like your connection to CoderDojo Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.