Python Sushi Cards - Mac quirks

• Hi,
    I completed the Python sushi cards (great job!). There are a couple of steps up front where I think a little more detail will help the kids getting started. I find kids (and parents) don’t know the basics of navigation on Mac. I only recently switched to Mac, so I also struggle a little.

Here are the areas where I would suggest a little more detail:

1. Opening Terminal. I suggest including that this is Finder->Applications->Utilities. I had to hunt around to find it.
    2. When I created the folder, I put spaces in the name. So, then I needed " " around it in the cd command. Perhaps if you just suggest a one word name for the folder in the cards we can prevent that problem tripping up a bunch of kids.
    3. I had no idea how to save the file into the folder I created using Atom. The Save pull down did not let me navigate into my folders. I ended up doing “Add project folder” and then found the folder under “Recent Places”. I’m not sure if there is some other way to do this on Mac. I’m used to Windows letting me expand the tree. I suggest either adding these details, or if there is another way to save into the folder created with Atom on the Mac, put that in.

• CoderDojo Foundation

@Ruth-Willenborg101 Thanks for sharing Ruth! :D

• CoderDojo Foundation

Hi @Ruth-Willenborg101 ,

Thanks for trying out the Sushi Cards and, in particular, for letting us know how you got on!

I actually deliberately wrote the Sushi Cards with the minimum of OS-specific details so they could be universally used on Windows, Mac OS, or any of the various flavours of Linux.

None of the operating systems are actually intuitive, they’re all just different learned behaviours. It’s hardest to know one of them well and be trying to use another. I have considered whether there should be another set of Sushi Cards to teach the basic operation of a computer, and they would naturally have to be OS-specific. I think that would be the best fix here, rather than adding such specific sets of instructions to every Sushi Series.

That said, I made the move from Windows to Mac a few years ago (I actually bought a book on how to do it – I think this is the current version, but maybe wait for the Mac OS Sierra one) and it took me about 3 months of regular use to learn all the tricks, so I hope these will be handy:

1. Hit Cmd+Space and start typing the name of any program or file you’re looking for “term” should be about as far as you need to get for Terminal. Then just use the arrow keys, if needed, to get to the program you’re after and hit return/enter. I use a Mac day-to-day and don’t need to know where most of my programs live.

2. You can use the tab key to auto-complete folder paths in the terminal. This will auto-include any escaping or special characters that might otherwise be tricky to get in there. Say your folder is “CoderDojo python project”, all you need to do is type “cd Coder” (or how ever long you need to not have it match any other folders, it might just be “C”) and then hit the tab key. It won’t work if all your folders have really similar names, I guess, but folks will figure that out through experience!

3. When you open almost any save as dialogue on a Mac (including Atom), you’ll have a box to enter the name you want to give the file. At the end of this box is a ∨ button. If you click that the box will expand to a larger, Finder-style, window that you can use to choose any location.

Hope these helped!

Looks like your connection to CoderDojo Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.