Ticketing system issues - a lot done but a few bugs and tweeks left

• For the start of our new season at Navan Coder Dojo I moved our users across from EventBrite to the foundations Zen platform. While there have been many improvements to the system since I last looked a few months ago there are still some issues which need to be addressed. I do realise that the platform is in continious development and undergoing bug fixes.

I’ll take the issues one by one to allow them to be addressed individually.

• Having made a couple of test events to try out the system, I am now unable to delete these as the only option we are provided with is cancelling them.

• Within the Edit Event page, the duplicate existing event fuction currently does not work. The input box I assume should be a dropdown, populated with other event names.

• Having selected an existing event, from within the event page, the name for the event does not follow through on the Event Details tab. The name only becomes evident once you drill into the ‘Event Details’ tab. This can lead to user confusion until they become familiar with the system. I would recomend that the Event name be printed on the tab.

• On requesting a refresh or during the initial loading of a zen ticket administration page, a ‘Error loading Events: [object Object]’ dialogue window appears after a while ( a few seconds, depending on broadband). I have used Chrome of various releases, IE and Firefox. All present the same issue.

• When managing users, the input box for user type states that we can add a user type, however the only function is to remove the existing user type and add an alternative. It is unclear if the changing of user type affects the functionality of the user. A help dialogue box for this would be intutive in addition to providing the functionality that the input box suggests.

• When managing users, the user clicks ‘next page’ or a numbered page. Normally the page would be updated and scroll to the top. Currently the page stays on the bottom, requiring the user to scroll to the top for information. This is counter intutive.

• When a user is booking tickets they are currently able to book several tickets at the one time, under the one persons name. This can lead to administration headaches in addition to working against the percieved objective of Zen in being able to provide awards to individual ninjas based on their achievements. We had a parent who through confusion with the adding user process, opted to book a few children with only only name. This took time to unravel on our end. While time calculations with individual tickets may be a small headache for the dev team, perhaps a dialogue box stating that a ticket has been issued to this user already and that mutiple tickets cannot be issues to one user, could be an option.

• Within the ticketing administration system, we have found a lot of users being shown with single names only, leading to headaches in trying to see who is who during the check in process and for administrative purposes. While this is down to user input, it would be helpful when adding your ‘name’ to the system to have the input box labled as Full Name or else add a input box for Family name, which would allow a data join on the fields for displaying elsewhere.

• Within the ticketing system when editing the description for each session a WYSIWYG editor would be great. This is currently only available for the ‘Event Details’ description. In order to provide formatting to these descriptions we have to add HTML tags, which may not be within the scope of some dojo administrators.

• The export user list currently exports a csv formated file without a file extension. While this can be worked around for advanced administrators, it can present a problem for a lot of non IT administrators.

In relation to a checking in app - is there any time line on its arrival ?

I hope that the above issues when addressed help to improve the functionality of the site for all users. There has been a lot of work put into the platform to date - thank you.

• CoderDojo Foundation

@Philip-Hennessy said in Ticketing system issues - a lot done but a few bugs and tweeks left:

Within the Edit Event page, the duplicate existing event fuction currently does not work. The input box I assume should be a dropdown, populated with other event names.

This is funny, i had it working 2 minutes ago. Could you pm me your dojo email so we can have a look ?

Having selected an existing event, from within the event page, the name for the event does not follow through on the Event Details tab. The name only becomes evident once you drill into the ‘Event Details’ tab. This can lead to user confusion until they become familiar with the system. I would recomend that the Event name be printed on the tab.

Good recommendation, indeed.

On requesting a refresh or during the initial loading of a zen ticket administration page, a ‘Error loading Events: [object Object]’ dialogue window appears after a while ( a few seconds, depending on broadband). I have used Chrome of various releases, IE and Firefox. All present the same issue

Another user reported the same issue, we’re looking into it, it’s probably due to our permission system being too restrictive. It’s kinda hard to catch tho, if you have a pattern which triggers it everytime, i’d enjoy hearing about it :)

When managing users, the input box for user type states that we can add a user type, however the only function is to remove the existing user type and add an alternative. It is unclear if the changing of user type affects the functionality of the user. A help dialogue box for this would be intutive in addition to providing the functionality that the input box suggests.

This is about to be reworked in the next weeks based upon our new design, and based upon the “join” function dialog

When managing users, the user clicks ‘next page’ or a numbered page. Normally the page would be updated and scroll to the top. Currently the page stays on the bottom, requiring the user to scroll to the top for information. This is counter intutive.

Didn’t know, will look into it.

This took time to unravel on our end. While time calculations with individual tickets may be a small headache for the dev team, perhaps a dialogue box stating that a ticket has been issued to this user already and that mutiple tickets cannot be issues to one user, could be an option.

Ui booking is going to be reworked anyway, but I’m not sure you want to limit one ticket/event/user, as you could have multiple sessions/day. This needs to be discussed @Rosa

While this is down to user input, it would be helpful when adding your ‘name’ to the system to have the input box labled as Full Name or else add a input box for Family name, which would allow a data join on the fields for displaying elsewhere

We know about this, this is bugging us a lot too. It’s a choice that has been made in the past and it’ll take time after we fix it for people to update their name. We can’t “simply” add the field and fill it with the last word of the “full_name” as people may have composed names. So … yeah :)

Within the ticketing system when editing the description for each session a WYSIWYG editor would be great. This is currently only available for the ‘Event Details’ description. In order to provide formatting to these descriptions we have to add HTML tags, which may not be within the scope of some dojo administrators.

Fair :thumbsup:

The export user list currently exports a csv formated file without a file extension. While this can be worked around for advanced administrators, it can present a problem for a lot of non IT administrators.

Fair too :thumbsup:

Nothing on the app to my knowledge, however there may be a functionnality to export /user a rfc tag so they can easily check-in

Overall, even if we’re sad to see you leaving ( :cry: ) (edited, misread) thanks a lot for the very insightful report !

• CoderDojo Foundation

Hi Philip,

Thanks for taking the time to document these. I have expanded on a few of Guillaumes points :) If you stumble across anything else please let us know here or via email.

1. Having made a couple of test events to try out the system, I am now unable to delete these as the only option we are provided with is cancelling them.
    • We can add this to the roadmap - is it just the look of this that you have an issue with? We’re still undergoing UI changes so this can be added to our Github issues list and the more information the better.
    1. Having selected an existing event, from within the event page, the name for the event does not follow through on the Event Details tab. The name only becomes evident once you drill into the ‘Event Details’ tab. This can lead to user confusion until they become familiar with the system. I would recommend that the Event name be printed on the tab.
    • We are revisiting this page with the intention of making it a more user friendly flow. The main way we want to do to achieve this is to automatically expand the first card on Event Details to ensure the details are correct. If you have any specific mockups you’d like to share that would be great.
    1. When managing users, the input box for user type states that we can add a user type, however the only function is to remove the existing user type and add an alternative. It is unclear if the changing of user type affects the functionality of the user. A help dialogue box for this would be intutive in addition to providing the functionality that the input box suggests.
    • We completely understand this isn’t intuitive and our main work this week is on the Manage Users page, it has so far not been touched in the revamp of the UX/UI. Expect it’s release in the next 2 weeks :) For now you can add users (Parent, Mentor, Champion, Youth under 13, Youth over 13) by simply typing in the box if you are a Champion or Dojo admin.
    1. When managing users, the user clicks ‘next page’ or a numbered page. Normally the page would be updated and scroll to the top. Currently the page stays on the bottom, requiring the user to scroll to the top for information. This is counter intuitive.
    • Don’t worry this is another element that is going to be changed in the revamp of the Manage Users page. In addition, you can have a look at the initial rough wireframes that we had discussed and sought input on, on the forums here.
    1. When a user is booking tickets they are currently able to book several tickets at the one time, under the one persons name. This can lead to administration headaches in addition to working against the percieved objective of Zen in being able to provide awards to individual ninjas based on their achievements. We had a parent who through confusion with the adding user process, opted to book a few children with only only name. This took time to unravel on our end. While time calculations with individual tickets may be a small headache for the dev team, perhaps a dialogue box stating that a ticket has been issued to this user already and that mutiple tickets cannot be issues to one user, could be an option.
    • We are currently looking at Booking/Viewing tickets so will definitely take this into consideration as a problem arising. We will also have to balance other use cases where booking >1 ‘ticket’ for the same person can occur. e.g. when laptops have to be booked in advance.
    1. Within the ticketing administration system, we have found a lot of users being shown with single names only, leading to headaches in trying to see who is who during the check in process and for administrative purposes. While this is down to user input, it would be helpful when adding your ‘name’ to the system to have the input box labled as Full Name or else add a input box for Family name, which would allow a data join on the fields for displaying elsewhere.
    • We implemented a split of the first and last name upon registration, which is also required - this should solve this issue moving forward. Unsure of when your users joined your Dojo - perhaps if it was prior to two weeks ago you could ask nicely of them to go back and edit their profile.
    1. In relation to a checking in app - is there any time line on its arrival ?
    • Our highest priority is on the functionality of the Community Platform and making it a smooth system to operate for all users. As you understand we have limited resources, particularly in development, and want to make sure that these are put to the best use for the community. We rely heavily on contributors and this would be a fantastic item if it can be contributed. It would also be great to hear about what functionality you would like to see from this app?

Thanks for all your feedback - always great to hear to ensure we are on the right track.

As always we are continuously looking for contributors to help make the Community Platform more user friendly and useful for community members. You can see the Community Platform Github page here>> if you want to contribute!

I’m out of the office for the next week but if there are any other queries or if you’d like to jump on a call to discuss Community Platform, just let me know :)

Thanks,

Rosa

• Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for getting back to me on these. I’ll pm you our dojo email.

We are not leaving. In fact I’d be encouraged to stay :-)

The only issue that wasnt addressed above, which may be where the misunderstanding came from was with the deletion of unused/cancelled events. If the dev team could take a look at this it would be great to assist us in cleaning up the ticketing.

As for the ‘Error loading Events: [object Object]’ bug. Either someone has resolved the issue or its totally intermittant as I can’t currently recreate it in order to provide you with further details.

I’m looking forward to the UI update on the booking. Hopefully it’ll make life easier ;-)

Its unfortunate about the app. If there was an API available maybe we could set it as a task for our junior coders ;-)

Cheers
    Philip

• CoderDojo Foundation

Our open-api is on our very next thing to do on our list (for quite some time, alas) ;)
    Same feeling for the [Object] error, the only reason I know of is a stability issue that we’re constantly looking into

• @Rosa-Langhammer Thanks for the feedback.

1. I suppose the test items require cleaning up, also if an event doens’t take place its presence on the dashboard can be anoying.

3)I’ve no mockups created, but I’ll try to get some done later.

5)I’ve just tried this. While I was able to add a mentor/volunteer tab to the user roles
    a) it didnt save to the user :-(
    b) Having added the mentor/volunteer role a checkbox for vetted was not added to the user profile.

1. Quote: "We implemented a split of the first and last name upon registration, which is also required - this should solve this issue moving forward. Unsure of when your users joined your Dojo - perhaps if it was prior to two weeks ago you could ask nicely of them to go back and edit their profile."
      I suppose that the split of first name and last name on user registration was not followed through to the ninja profile does not help. This section currently only has one field for Name.
      Also they only signed up over the weekend gone (3-5/9/16) !

2. I suppose a mockup of the app would be handy. A prime example would be from EventBrite, however I’ll see if we can get some ninja working on this during this session ;-) or myself.

As for GIT, I’ll take a look later and see how I/We can help.

Cheers

Philip

• CoderDojo Foundation

1. @Guillaume-Feliciano and @Daniel-Brierton will look into this - this will be part of the revamp being worked on this week anyway :)

2. We’re looking into this now - it may just be a display issue!

Thanks for bringing these to our attention and any help you can offer would be a bonus - though in saying that Zen may not be the most interesting project for young people :P

Cheers,

Rosa

• While I’m aware that the ticketing system is being done, I’m unaware as to whats being kept and whats being given a makeover. Ive just spotted another anomoly this morning while generating a ticket for one of our users who was experiencing difficulty registering.

The issue is that the user names are un-ordered when selecting a user from the drop down menu when you apply for their ticket when adding a new applicant. This makes teh user experience harder when trying to find a user. You can see this in the image below.

0_1473155368129_CoderDojo Ticketing capture 6-9-16.PNG

• CoderDojo Foundation

Thanks, that’s something we haven’t seen
    We’ll take it into consideration when being there :)
    This mostly applies when you book for somebody for your dojo, right?

• @Guillaume-Feliciano Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, the only occurance that I’ve seen of this so far is as above.

One more you :-)

One of our sessions - Beginners Scratch has a seating capacity of 10, yet we currently have 16 attending. We have yet to go past capacity on other classes , however this issue needs to be resolved.

Initially I had set up 10 each of youth and parent/guardian tickets on the misunderstanding that the parent/guardian ticket maybe required for a -13 ticket. Having realised that this was an error and having corrected the ticket allocations by deleting the parent/guardian tickets, leaving only the youth ticket.

I have in the interim to prevent further additions I have turned on the Ticket Approval feature.

Philip

• CoderDojo Foundation

@Rosa-Langhammer Is this related to the issue regarding waiting list that’s on github ?

• @Rosa-Langhammer Hi Rosa,
    This would appear to be similar insofar as the waiting list did not kick in after all available seats were filled - for this one event only, so far. Having the ability to stream the waiting list would be nice, however this is a bug as against a feature request.

• @Rosa-Langhammer @Guillaume-Feliciano
    During check-in today at our session, I found a couple of issues:

While checking in a user, the dropdown box to select the date of the checked in session remains dropped after having selected the date. This is an inconvience to be resolved, however the functionality does work.

While demonstrating the naming issues to mentors and parents in order to gain their assistance, we had to avoid certain categories/ticket types where parents had provided personal notes about their children within the notes text box. A feature that would be handy would be to filter the display on shown fields, so as to avoid these personal notes being shown.

Another issue that we had was people inadvertantly booking their children into the wrong ticket type. Perhaps to provide assistance to administrators a ‘change ticket type’ of dropdown would be handy.

• CoderDojo Foundation

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback Philip. Really interesting to hear how you find using the platform in a Dojo setting and how the ux can be improved for the community :)

• CoderDojo Foundation

To whom would you hide personal notes? Only dojo-admin/ticketing admins are normally allowed to see those, am i right ?
    For ticket type wrongly booked, we still have some stuff UI-wise in the pipeline :p

• I have some issues to report too.

• When someone registers to my event I don’t get an automated feedback E-Mail from the system. If I won’t login to the ticketing system I don’t get a notification that someone new registered to my event. I think this should be fixed.
    • list itemI want to be able to ask for more info by those who register for my event such as a phone number or their age and filter incoming applications before they are submitted.
    • list itemI would like to be able to E-Mail my users through the ticketing system in order to inform them about issues concerning the upcoming events.

Thank you!

• @Guillaume-Feliciano said in Ticketing system issues - a lot done but a few bugs and tweeks left:

To whom would you hide personal notes? Only dojo-admin/ticketing admins are normally allowed to see those, am i right ?

In fairness Guillaume you are right. The admin/ticketing would normally only be seen by dojo admins/ ticketing admins. However in order to demonstrate the current check-in system to our mentors, plus demonstrate the issue where the first name of a parent or child is only appearing in the ticketing system to the parents to help them understand what they need to change in their name space, this was shown to them.

However certain categories of tickets could not be shown in order to avoid privacy issues ;-)

For ticket type wrongly booked, we still have some stuff UI-wise in the pipeline :p

Thats great to hear, and I look forward to seeing them when they come sppeding down the pipe :-)

• CoderDojo Foundation

Hi @Philip-Hennessy,

We hadn’t seen overbooking happening but we know that the waitlist does not kick in for individual sessions which you can see here.

@Iraklis-Markelis - the automated email may not be a feature that all Dojos would want. It would be good to hear some feedback on this from other members of the community. This could maybe be opt in or daily digest? Would others find this useful?

A lot of this information is captured in the profile so it may be a matter of showing this in the application to Champions. We are also looking into adding custom questions too so if there is anything we do not capture you can ask it!

Emailing all attendees through the platform is in the backlog - https://github.com/CoderDojo/community-platform/issues/947. For the moment you can export the list and then email manually.

Looking forward to hearing more feedback :)

Keep coding!

• @Rosa-Langhammer Good morning Rosa, Thank you for your early morning repy :-)

A lot of this information is captured in the profile so it may be a matter of showing this in the application to Champions. We are also looking into adding custom questions too so if there is anything we do not capture you can ask it!

In relation to this, I find myself having to check on through user details to confirm their email address during the ticketing proccess. Currently the only way to do this is by following and their UID through both the ticketing and user management pages. A possible workaround on following user details would be to have a layered details box about the user when their UID is hovered over within the ticketing system.

• CoderDojo Foundation

Hi Philip,

Just out of interest why do you need to check the emails? Hadn’t thought this would be a detail required unless needed to email directly or the list. There are definitely details we want to make more available on the manage event page so want to know all the user cases!

Thanks,

Rosa

• @Rosa-Langhammer Hi Rosa,

Currently we have quite a number of users that only have one name showing ie Philip, Ross, Edel, David etc. In order to manage numbers at each session and due to parents inadvertently booking the wrong session type (mainly scratch beginners & scratch intermediate), we are having to manually administer the ticketing issuing to members based on if they attended the last session (1 of 6 sessions) or if they are on the waiting list.

Having exported our members list we are trying to match the child’s name to the parent or relevant email address to determine if they attended the last session in order to manually approve their ticket. While these details can be available with in the ticketing export (but not always), it is not practical to export the list every time in order to be able to check the list. Having these details available within a layered details box would be beneficial.

I hope this explains the reasoning behind my request.

Cheers
    Philip

Looks like your connection to CoderDojo Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.