Top tips for Project based Learning

• Hi @Nuala-Nic-Éil!

I have a quick update about the “Project-Based Learning” Sushi cards. 4 of them are ready (see the links below) and 4 are still to come.
    Project-Based Learning 1 - Belt System
    Project-Based Learning 2 - Paths Overview
    Project-Based Learning 3 - Game Development Tools
    Project-Based Learning 4 - Web Development Tools
    The final 4 Sushi cards will cover the tools for the remaining paths (App Development, Minecraft Modding, Robotics and Digital Making).

In order for kids to learn the new tools, I included in the Sushi cards links to YouTube/online tutorials. Since there are so many good tutorials available, I thought this would be an optimal solution.

And during our April session we have finally awarded the first two white belts! So I hope that these Sushi cards will be useful for the kids who want to get higher-level belts.

What do you think about these Sushi cards? How can I improve them?

• CoderDojo Foundation

I’m personally looking into Love2D for the gameDev path, coupled with Tiled and Piskel. That makes a trio of assets creation + “game engine”/framework which seems quite powerful (and OpenSource) for kids to get a quick result while covering most of the game creation process. Most of the problematic of animation/collision engine/whatever is encapsuled in a quite straightforward library that ease towards a “final” result rather than a technical challenge.

• @Pavlo they look awesome Pavlo, I believe that will give kids some tools to help decide the direction they want to go, how the belts & badges relate and where they can go for more info :) fantastic :)

• CoderDojo Foundation

@Pavlo Well done Pavlo! Thanks for sharing all you’ve created so far with the community so others can try it out :D I really like how clear they are for ninjas to see what tools they can use to progress. Just wondering how did you decide on videos to use? Had ninjas tried them out at your Dojo?
    Our Content Lead @Philip-Harney and Content Developer @Ciara-McHugh might be able to give you more detailed and useful feedback on the cards tomorrow as well. :slight_smile:

• CoderDojo Foundation

@Guillaume-Feliciano very excited to see this! :D made this carrot sprite on Piskel, it’s a really simple tool for making them :) alt text

• Hi @Nuala-Nic-Éil!

I have found these videos myself and will try to advertise them to kids during workshops. There is a lot of high quality content on YouTube that can be used for learning or project inspiration. In addition, it’s free, easy to distribute and can be even watched at home. Actually that’s something that I do myself when I need to learn software - I first look for a YouTube tutorial :) So these Sushi Cards are actually digital with links/resources for particular tools.

• Docklands Dojo

@Pavlo Thanks for sharing these Sushi Cards! As @Nichole-Jasper and @Nuala-Nic-Éil have said, they are nice and clearly laid out, simple and concise as Sushi Cards should be :)

It’s definitely great to have a selected bunch of tools and resources collected together like this for Ninjas to easily choose from.

Regarding the linked resources, videos can certainly be useful for showing you how to do things where it would be hard to describe on paper, and especially if the video is engaging it can be more fun that way too. Of course a good internet connection is essential for watching videos online, especially if there are many kids watching them at the same time. This can be a problem at Dojos, in which case it may be more suited to home learning as you said.

One other thing to note, I would maybe be wary of sending Ninjas directly to YouTube as you cannot control what else they might encounter there, for example inappropriate comments (sadly) or other videos that are either distracting or unsuitable. Resources on dedicated websites are preferable but of course not always available. Perhaps consider embedding the YouTube videos if possible? You are right in that there is a lot of high quality material on YouTube!

• Hi @Ciara-McHugh!

Thanks for your comments! Will it make sense to include the belt system and the tools to the website of our local CoderDojo? Then I can easily embed YouTube videos and make these materials available to the larger community. I will definitely do it once I finish the rest of the cards.

• Docklands Dojo

@Pavlo Sounds like a good idea, if you have the website then why not! We are also looking into getting the videos embedded on our site so you can make everything more widely available through Kata. Once we have the pages with the videos done, and the new links, you can upload the Sushi Cards to Kata, or we can upload them for you :slight_smile:

Looks like your connection to CoderDojo Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.