Offline-Server

• In case the Dojo has problems with slow or nonexistent Internet connection, the idea is to create an offline server for the tutorials and applications. I started one for my Dojo in Potsdam because we travel around to different locations, not being sure about the internet. It is on github. You can opt-in e.g.

• App Inventor (with Hour of Code Videos)
    • CodeCombat (Kithgard Dungeon campain)
    • Scratch (executables, soon also as Snapp! Website)
    • Blockly Games
    • Lightbot
    • starthardware.org (Arduino)
    • HTML-overview page

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Viele Grüße,
    Nicco

• CoderDojo Foundation

Hi Nicco,
    I think it is a great idea! Weak internet can inhibit a lot of people from even setting up a dojo. Having offline material means CoderDojo can reach children in less technically developed areas, which is really cool! Thanks for sharing! It would be great to get more of the community involved and aware of these offine resources available. I seen your post on the CoderDojo Global Slack with this link to the offline resources:https://github.com/cdpoffline/offline-material

• MegaDojo

While we're blessed to have our own WiFi setup in the venue we use, having 150+ devices connected at times can slow it down. We have a series of USB keys with the sushi card files as well as some setup files (Scratch, Notepad++, sublimbtext etc). We use one of the USB belts so ninjas are familar with them from day one

• Now, If someone wants to browse the static test version: http://cdpoffline.github.io/try-it/
    Also, walter from Pesaro, Italy tried it out and a Jupyter server was added.
    There is multi-language support and you can translate it to your language, if you like.

@Barry-Kennedy what other content do you deliver on your USB-sticks?

• Hi Nico,
    I think the idea of an offline server for dojo's is a great idea.

At Navan coder dojo we have e-fiber at our main premises that can be flakey, While our second premises relies on 3G for broadband. Providing access to software and coursework in addition to online service providers like MIT's App Inventor can be problematic when it goes wrong. I have provided an offline server based on an Esxi hypervisor which in turn allows us to gain access to services that we can provide offline. We use Zeroshell as our router and captive portal. When the user looks for web access this provides a redirect to our Pydio web based file server. From the portal our ninjas and mentors can access software and course work.

Recently we have introduced an offline version of App Inventor AI2U which allows our uses to utilise our local network setup as against a dodgy broadband which can inhibit class progress. In relation to file management we advise our ninjas to export their work up to their own online account at the end of the session.

We have also provided a Snipe-It platform to allow for tracking of equipment borrowing.

Given that these various resources are based on different operating systems it makes sense to virtualise the offline server. Further the provision of a web/ftp/git file sourse eliminates the need for USB sticks which can be a major source of virus spreading amongst users.

Looks like your connection to CoderDojo Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.